A guide to Jury Service
Do I qualify to serve as a Juror?
Florida Statute 40.01 states in part if you are at least 18 years of age or older, a citizen of the United States of America, state of Florida, county of Levy and you possess a valid Florida identification card or drivers license issued by Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles you can be selected to serve as a perspective Juror.
How do I get picked to be a Juror?
Florida Statute 40.011 reads in part that the Clerks office randomly select Jurors from a list of citizens with valid drivers licenses or Florida identification cards provided by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Who is exempt from serving as a Juror?
Florida Statute 40.013 reads in part persons who are disqualified or excused from Jury service.
- No longer a resident of Levy county
- Served on Jury Duty within the past 12 months in Levy county
- An expectant mother
- Unemployed parent with custody of child under the age of 6
- Unemployed caregiver of a person who is mentally challenged or incapable of caring for him or herself
- 70 years of age or older and wishes to be permanently/temporarily excused
- Convicted of or under prosecution of a crime
- Law Enforcement Officer
The following persons have a mandatory disqualification from jury service.
- Any convicted felon whose civil rights have not been restored.
- Any person presently under prosecution for any crime.
Will I get paid for Jury Duty?
Florida Statute 40.24 states in part if you are employed and your employer pays your wages while you serve on Jury Duty you are not entitled to receive payment from the state for the first 3 days of your Jury Service. If your employer does not pay your wages while you serve the state will pay you a daily rate of 15.00 per day the first 3 days.
Any Juror who serves more than 3 days will receive payment at the rate of 30.00 per day.
What if I have a disability?
If you need special assistance or accommodations to be present for jury service due to a disability please contact the Jury Clerk at least 7 days before the date shown on the summons.
If you have any other questions please contact our office.
Jury contact number 352-486-5402
355 S. Court Street Bronson, Florida 32621 Attn: Jury
Remember, before your Jury Selection date to call the Friday before, after 5 pm. There will be a recorded message letting you know if you need to appear on Monday.